World

Afghan Taliban launches huge offensive after deadline for US pullout

Afghan Taliban launches huge offensive after deadline for US pullout

Afghan Taliban launches huge offensive after deadline for US pullout.

The security forces of Afghanistan government fought back a huge Taliban offensive in southern Helmand province in the last 24 hours.

Afghan Taliban launches huge offensive after deadline for US pullout

Officials and residents reported this on Tuesday, after militants launched assaults around the country following a missed U.S. deadline to withdraw troops.

Although the United States did not meet the May 1 withdrawal deadline agreed in talks with the Taliban last year, its pull-out has begun.

The U.S. President Joe Biden announced all troops will out by Sept. 11.

However, critics of the decision to withdraw say the militants will try to sweep back into power.

“There was a thunderstorm of heavy weapons and blasts in the city and the sound of small arms was like someone was making popcorn,” Mulah Jan, a resident of a suburb of provincial capital Lashkar Gah, told Reuters.

He further said that he took all his family members to the corner of the room. They were hearing the heavy blasts and bursts of gunfire as if it was happening behind our walls.

Families that could afford to leave had fled, but he had been unable to go, waiting with his family in fear before the Taliban were pushed back.

Head of Helmand’s provincial council

Meanwhile, Attaullah Afghan, the head of Helmand’s provincial council, said the Taliban had launched their huge offensive on Monday.

They began it from multiple directions, attacking checkpoints around the outskirts of Lashkar Gah, taking over some of them.

Afghan security forces had launched air strikes and deployed elite commando forces to the area.

The insurgents had been pushed back but fighting was continuing on Tuesday and hundreds of families had been displaced, he added.

RESONANCE

A Taliban surge in Helmand would have particular resonance, as the opium-growing desert province was where U.S. and British forces suffered the bulk of their losses during the 20-year war.

As part of the pullout, U.S. forces handed over a base in Helmand to Afghan troops two days ago.

The Afghan defence ministry said that in addition to Helmand, security forces have been responding to Taliban attacks.

They are responding in at least six other provinces, including southeastern Ghazni and southern Kandahar in the past 24 hours.

The defence ministry said just over 100 Taliban fighters had been killed in Helmand.

It did not provide details on casualties among Afghan security forces.

However, the Taliban did not immediately respond to request for comment.

Deadline

U.S. govt had agreed to the May 1 deadline for U.S. troops to pull out under former President Donald Trump.

Now, the Taliban rejected Biden’s announcement that troops would stay on past it but withdraw over the next four-and-a-half months.

The deadline has been met with a surge in violence, with a car bomb in Logar province killing almost 30 people on Friday evening.

At least seven Afghan military personnel were killed when the Taliban set off explosives smuggled through a tunnel.

They had dug the tunnel into an army outpost in southwestern Farah province on Monday.

GTV

Related posts

Palestinian Prime Minister calls for world pressure on Israel

Irfan Ali

Iran screens over 47 million and distributes 11 million masks for free of cost

Irfan Ali

Drone attack at Moqtada Sadr house in Najaf

Irfan Ali