Suicide blast in Afghanistan kills three people and injured fifteen others in Chahar Asiab district in capital Kabul on Wednesday.
The bomber targeted a base belonging to Afghan special operations forces on the southern outskirts of the capital.
Suicide blast in Afghanistan
Officials of the government blamed the Taliban for the attack.
Because it took place a day after the country’s defense minister and the commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan visited the facility.
The bombing happened outside the base for army commandos as civilian contractors working in the facility waited outside to get into the base.
A military official, speaking on condition of anonymity said this.
Tareq Arian, a spokesman for the Interior Ministry, said the site of the bombing was in the Chahar Asyab district and blamed the Taliban for the attack, calling it a crime against humanity.
“The target was likely the base itself, but the bomber failed to reach his target and instead killed innocent civilians,” Arian said.
No one immediately claimed responsibility for the attack, but both the Taliban and the Islamic State group are active in Kabul and its surroundings and have repeatedly struck military and civilian targets.
Earlier on Tuesday, the Afghan defense minister, Gen. Assadullah Khalid, and the commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan, U.S. Gen. Scott Miller, visited the base, known as Army Commando Corps.
They praised achievements of the Afghan commandos and their dedication in defending the country.
Also Wednesday, a sticky bomb attached to vehicle detonated elsewhere in Kabul, wounding three civilians, according to Firdaus Faramarz, spokesman for the Kabul police chief. No one claimed responsibility for that attack.
The Taliban have continued to attack security outposts, even as the U.S. and NATO proceed with a full troop withdrawal that is set to be completed next year under a deal signed at the end of February between the U.S. peace envoy, Zalmay Khalilzad, and the Taliban.